“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is therefore, not an act, but a habit.”
THA Warriors are constantly striving for “excellent work” in the studio. Upon completion of a deliverable, whether it is a book review, a journal entry, a quest challenge, or Writer’s Workshop submission, etc. Warriors are challenged to strive for excellence by asking themselves the following questions:
1) Is this my BEST work?
2) Is this better than the first time around?
3) How does this compare to a world-class example?
4) Is it ready for public exhibition?
The hope is that excellence goes beyond an arbitrary score or letter grade, but reflects in each Warrior’s own habits and character.
Warriors had a great week back after their return from break! Here are some of the highlights:
- Morning Launches: As always, Warriors engaged in several thought-provoking Socratic discussions: would you rather have a more fun or more productive break? Does competition bring out the best in you or the worst in you? What is the best part of being at THA, is it what you get to do or who you get to do it with?
- Quality of the Session: This session Warriors will focus on “courage” as their quality. They will hear inspirational stories of courage during morning launches and discuss it’s application to their lives. E.g. this past Wednesday, Warriors heard some brief highlights of the courageous students from Parkland, Florida trying to inspire change after such a horrible tragedy at their school.
- Writer’s Workshop: This session, Warriors will venture into playwriting, as they build on their biographies from last session and their question of the year (What does it mean to be powerful?). They will choose an inspiring incident from their historical figure’s life that displays the power of character and transform it into a play. Can’t wait to see what they come up with!
- Survivor Quest: This was certainly one of the biggest highlights of the week (see quest map below). This week Warriors learned about foraging, edible insects, the nutritional value of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit as they created their own trail mix, making their own traps, and tying and untying different types of knots. They even tasted some roses, mint, and cilantro! Warriors are excited to host their camping trip exhibition at the end of the session!
- Other highlights include – Core Skills diligence, badge planning, 360 reflections, Yoga and Music class after school, weaving in Art, indoor PE, Warriors Tournament, team building, and so much more! Can’t wait for another amazing week at THA!